Read all about home remedies for fingernail fungus to get rid of that nasty nail infection. It won’t cost you a lot and it is easy to follow. Be smart and try it out the natural way.
Fingernail fungus defined:
A fingernail fungus is an infection that starts in the nail bed. The medical term for this condition is “onychomycosis.” When a person has a small wound or scratch around the nail bed area, the fungus can then enter that small wound and therefore infect the nail and skin. This fungus could also squeeze itself underneath the nail and create this infection. This type of fungus loves the warm and moist areas and is contagious. The spread is from direct contact which means that if a healthy person comes in contact with an infected person and they share person items like nail clippers, towels and other personal items, the healthy person could obtain this infection.
People at risk:
- People who frequently go to nail salons and get manicures and pedicures (especially instruments for manicures that aren’t sterilized properly
- People who use personal items of infected persons
- Individuals who are diabetic (since these people have a slow healing process)
- People with low immune systems
Symptoms of fingernail fungus:
- Itching of the infected area
- The nails start becoming thick and brittle making clipping of nails difficult
- Pain and tenderness that could affect daily activities
- Yellow to brown discoloration that starts at the fingernail’s base and spreads under the skin
- White or black patches on the affected area of the infection
- Debris collecting underneath the affected nail
- The nail may have an irregular shape and could start to detach from the nail bed
- Bleeding in cases of detachment
- A foul odor may start to form due to the infection
Home remedies for nail fungus could definitely help out those who have this uncomfortable skin condition.
Here is a list of successful home remedies for fingernail fungus:
- Tea tree oil and lavender oil. This is an effective home treatment nail fungus. Mix an equal amount of both these essential oils along with a carrier oil such as olive oil on a cotton ball and dab it under the top edge of the affected nail at least 2 to 3 times daily. Since tea tree oil is a natural antibiotic and lavender oil could help fight off the infection and prevent irritation of the skin, a combination of each could really work wonders. The best trick is to warm both oils. It is vital that you use this concoction on a daily basis to get the results that you want.
- Apple cider vinegar. This is one of the all natural home remedies for fingernail fungus. Soak your affected fingernail to 15 to 20 minutes in a basin of luke warm water with an equal mixture of natural apple cider vinegar. Afterwards, dry it well and use a hairdryer at warm setting to dry up the moisture around the affected area. This fingernail fungus treatment is effective because this type of vinegar is a mild acid and prevents the infection from spreading.
- Apple cider vinegar as an exfoliating scrub. When applying a exfoliating scrub make sure you don’t apply excessive pressure on the affected area because it might further aggravate the infection. Creating your own exfoliating scrub is easy. All you have to do is mix in together ground rice flour with a few spoonfuls of apple cider vinegar. You can apply this paste over the affected nail as well as the surrounding area. Remember to rub it gently. (One effective and safe natural remedy for athletes foot)
- Listerine mouthwash. This treatment for nail fungus is very helpful. Soak the affected area with Listerine mouthwash. Since mouthwash contains different types of alcohols, this is a strong agent to kill nail fungus.
- Salt with water. Get a cup of salt per every one gallon of luke warm water to use as a soak for the affected area. This is a popular fingernail fungus treatment to destroy the fungus.
- Aloe vera gel. Apply this gel around the surrounding skin of the infected area at least twice a day to clean and thoroughly dry feet. Aloe vera contains anti-fungal properties that will also help in killing and spreading the fungus.
- Oregano with olive oil. This is one very efficient nail fungal home remedies up to date. Get 2 drops of oregano with a teaspoon of olive oil. Apply this blend to the affected area daily for not more than 3 weeks because it could back fire and do the opposite effect.
The mentioned natural fingernail fungus remedies are the most popular and effective ones that are being used today. Some of the natural remedies could be found in herbal stores or healthcare shops. Some may even be found just around the house. Try out these home remedies for fingernail fungus and be amazed by the results.