Mouth ulcer remedies: An effective way to treat canker sores
Mouth ulcers, also called “aphthous ulcers” or “canker sores” are a common oral health infection that starts from a harmful pathogen such as bacteria, fungi and virus. A mouth ulcer is also called a “cold sore.” Mouth ulcers can be very uncomfortable especially when a person eats, drinks and brushes their teeth. A mouth ulcer could clear up by themselves within a couple days to weeks. If it continues to become worst, you might want to seek medical help from a doctor especially when the ulcer has been there for more than 3 weeks because it might indicate another medical condition.
There are 3 main types of mouth ulcers:
- Minor ulcers. These are the most common type. They are small in size (around 2 to 8 millimeters in diameter) and usually heal naturally in a couple days to a couple weeks.
- Major ulcers. These ulcers are much deeper and larger. They are raised and irregular. It could take several weeks for this type of ulcer and can cause scarring.
- Herpetiform ulcers. These types of ulcers form as a cluster and are described to be pinhead-sized. They often fuse together to form a much larger sore and are said to be very painful.
Causes of mouth ulcers could be one of the following:
- Very hot and acidic foods and drinks that could damage the inner lining of the mouth
- Scrapping (any form of trauma to the inner portion of the mouth) the inside of your mouth or gums from food or other items such as a toothbrush, tooth pick, braces etc.
- Biting the inner cheeks
- Brushing your teeth and gums too hard
- Poorly fitted dentures
- Dry mouth that could be from another medical condition
- Eating food that gives you allergies
- Lacking certain vitamins and minerals (Vitamin C, B-group vitamins, folic acid and iron)
- Certain medications as a side effect
You might want to consider seeking medical help if your mouth ulcers still haven’t healed after 3 weeks to months. If the ulcers have become even more severe accompanied by a high-grade fever of higher than 101 degrees fahrenheit and difficulty in breathing and swallowing, you should consider seeking immediate medical care.
Here is a list of mouth ulcer remedies that are very popular and effective:
- Coconut milk and honey. This is a great mouth ulcer remedy. You can try a massaging a mixture of coconut milk and honey at least 3x a day which could be very beneficial.
- Orange juice. This is very helpful in prevent canker sores. Drink this for about 3 to 5 days and the sore should clear up. Orange juice is filled with vitamin C and could heal up those mouth sores.
- Vitamin C. Taking Vitamin C pills could help a great deal since mouth sores are caused also because of lack of this type of vitamin.
- Mulberry juice. This mouth ulcer treatment provides relief to those sores.
- Holy basil. Take about 4 to 5 of these leaves and chew them in the morning and evening time along with water. Besides curing treating mouth ulcers it could also prevent bad breath.
- Peppermint oil. This is one of the beneficial remedies for mouth ulcers because applying this on the ulcer could provide relief from the irritation and pain.
- Hydrogen peroxide, salt and baking soda. Create a mix of 2 ounces of hydrogen peroxide, a teaspoon of salt and baking soda. Gargle and rinse using this solution. Make sure you don’t swallow. (Baking soda is also another great natural bad breath remedy)
- Turmeric powder. Mix a small pinch of turmeric powder to a teaspoon of glycerine and apply this to the mouth ulcers. It could lessen the size of the ulcer in a couple days of application.
- Mouthwash. This is one of the popular mouth ulcer remedies. Gargle daily with mouthwash to help treat canker sores and remove bad smelling breath.
- Toothpaste. Apply toothpaste that contains sodium bicarbonate to the mouth ulcer at least 3 to 5x a day. This could provide you with quick relief from mouth ulcers.
- Tomato juice. Have a daily intake of tomato juices to treat these canker sores.
- Milk of magnesia. Rinse your mouth with milk of magnesia to coat the sores instantly.
- Diet. Try a diet of soured products such as cottage cheese and buttermilk. Stay away from highly spiced foods, hot tea and coffee so the mouth ulcers aren’t further aggravated. Avoid eating fish or meat for at least 2 weeks because animal protein increases the body’s acidity which could slow down the healing process.
- Avoid the following: Avoid chewing on gum, sucking on lozenges, tobacco, coffee and citrus fruits so mouth ulcers don’t worsen.
Help out in treating your mouth ulcers with these simple natural remedies. You will be amazed of the positive results that these mouth ulcer remedies will provide after proper use.
Still not satisfied with the safe and effective natural remedies given to you in this article? If you want to learn more about this medical condition and gain more knowledge about other natural, safe and effective remedies then click on the image below. Take action now and see signs of improvement in a month and watch your mouth ulcers to disappear in two months or less.