Dry scalp is a condition that is quite common especially since the summer season is coming up and more people are being exposed to the sun’s heat. Since the scalp is usually forgotten and not protected like the other areas of the person’s skin, dry scalp may be present in many individuals.
Although dry scalp seems very similar to dandruff, those two are very different and completely separate conditions from one another and treated in different manners also.
This condition may be described to be white, scaly flakes on the scalp. If it isn’t treated immediately the itching of the scalp may lead to scratching of the scalp thus possibly creating scalp sores, infections and more serious scalp conditions.
The causes of dry scalp may be of the following:
- Insufficient hydration (not drinking enough liquids)
- Extreme in temperatures especially with lack of humidity in the air
- Frequent weather changes, during the winter and summer seasons
- Being in central heating and air conditioning often
- Taking hot baths and showers habitually
- Using harsh soaps and detergents on the scalp
- Not properly washing out hair products out of scalp and hair
- Hormonal factors
- Lack of essential fatty acids
- Excessive sun exposure
The following are the dry scalp symptoms:
- Flaking of the scalp which may loosely come off
- Dry scalp may lead to skin cracks and bleeding if being scratched frequently
- Burning sensation if there are wounds present
Natural Remedies for Dry Scalp:
- Vinegar. Although vinegar can have a unpleasant smell, it could help in restoring natural acids on the scalp and help remove left behind build up by hair products. Simply apply plain vinegar to the scalp and leave it in for 5-10 minutes
- Olive oil. Give your scalp a massage with lukewarm olive oil. It is an excellent dry scalp cure to help promote blood flow to the scalp. It reduces dryness and could improve overall quality of your hair
- Plain yogurt. Same in skin yeast infection remedy article, you can use plain yogurt to rub on your scalp and leave on for 15 minutes for great relief.
- Egg mixed with plain yogurt. Try whisking an egg in the yogurt and applying it on the scalp for 15 minutes also. Also another effective natural remedy if you happen to have an extra egg around
- Vitamin E oil and lavender oil. You can purchase these types of oils in herbal health stores to help treat your dry scalp. Massage these oils on your scalp for 10 minutes for effective results
- Dried herbs (thyme, stinging nettle, yarrow, rosemary, red clover, burdock, witch hazel). Try filling a jar with these herbs and cover them with apple cider and white wine vinegar. Tightly place the lid on the jar and keep it in a warm place. Shake it twice a day for 4 to 5 weeks. After, filter the mixture through a cheesecloth and add one cup of water and 10 drops of essential oil (olive oil) in the mixture. After shampooing, you can use this concoction on your scalp
- Banana and honey. Get one banana and a tablespoon of honey and mix them together. Apply this paste mask and keep it on your scalp for 30 minutes. After, rinse it off with cold water. This mix can help moisten the hair and scalp
- Oatmeal and water. Get grounded oatmeal and water and mix it together creating a paste. Gently massage it into the scalp to help promote blood circulation and also prevent flaking and itching
- Vitamin B oil. This type of oil is an effective dry scalp remedy. This can be helpful in treating dry and itchy scalp and also aids in the production of melanin
- Diet changes. If you have dry scalp, focus on a diet that consists a good source of Vitamin B, C, zinc and iron. Be careful in taking too much vitamin A. Protein is also very healthy for your scalp. Stay away from caffeine and alcohol because it could further aggravate the condition.
- Aloe vera. Another great natural remedy is massaging your head with aloe vera oil. You can purchase this type of oil at local herbal stores. It could serve as a good moisturizer. Massage your head once daily to get its beneficial effects.
Dry scalp doesn’t have to be an embarrassment to yourself or anybody you know who might have it. Natural remedies are available and could be used to treat it at home. Prevent dry scalp by wearing hats and staying away from excessive sunlight. Drink enough liquids, especially water to stay properly hydrated for your body’s overall well-being.
If you want more information about dry scalp, simply click the image below and be amazed! Discover soothing relief for your dry scalp in 3 days or less by reading about other natural home remedies that are very safe and effective. Read about successful stories of other people who have suffered from dry scalp and have overcome this condition. Treat your dry scalp easily and be free of the embarrassment it has been causing you.